Before My Surgery:
Our staff at WestHealth Surgery Center will work with your surgeon’s office to get you pre-registered prior to your procedure date. If we have any questions, our Pre-Registration Department will contact you.
Your Pre-Surgical History and Physical Examination must be completed within 30 days of your scheduled surgery date. Please have your physician fax your results, including any x-ray images and lab work to us at 763-302-2904.
One (1) to two (2) days before your scheduled surgery, a Pre-Surgical WestHealth Surgery Center Nurse will contact you regarding the following:
- Arrival Time
- Surgery Time
- Pre-Surgical History and Physical
- Special Instructions
- Interpreter services that are available free of charge to you and your family
- Answer any questions you may have
If you have not received a call within 24 hours of your surgery or have additional questions please call us at 763-302-2830 between 8am to 4pm.
Food and Drink
Unless directed by your surgeon, please do not take: aspirin, NSAIDS like Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen, Coumadin, or oral hypoglycemic medication for diabetes.
Adults and children over 12 years:
- No solid foods eight (8) hours before surgery. (This includes chewing gum)
- You may have small sips of water up to two (2) hours prior to surgery time.
Consult with your physician regarding taking any insulin or any medications. Oral medications may be taken with a small sip of water on the morning of your surgery.
Children less than 12 years:
- No solid foods eight (8) hours before surgery. May have formula six (6) hours and breast mild four (4) hours before surgery.
- May have small sips of water or CLEAR liquids up to two (2) hours prior to surgery.
Consult your physician regarding taking any medications. Oral medications may be taken with a small sip of water on the morning of surgery.
Alcohol, Smoking, Nicotine Products:
Do not drink alcohol for at least 24 hours prior to surgery.
No Tobacco, No Smoking, No Nicotine 24 hours prior to surgery. (This includes chewing tobacco, nicotine gum, e-cig, etc.)
Please shower the night before surgery or in the morning.
Please brush your teeth the morning of surgery.
Please bring any glasses or hearing aids.
Makeup, Nail Polish, Artificial Nails Jewelry (including body jewelry), Contact Lenses:
Please remove all these items before surgery.
Perfume, Cologne, Lotions, Hair Products:
Please do not use.
Wear loose, casual, comfortable clothing to fit over dressings.
Please leave valuables at home.
Notify The Center & Your Surgeon If:
- You have an elevated temperature, cough, cold, vomiting or diarrhea between your last visit to the surgeon and the day of your surgery.
- You suspect you may be pregnant.
- You are taking: diet pills, aspirin, ibuprofen, blood thinners, or certain herbal medicines. You may need to stop taking these 1-2 weeks before your surgery. You can discuss this with your surgeon.
What You Need The Day Of The Surgery:
- Information To Bring: Photo ID, Insurance cards, Prescription card, Medicare or Medical Assistance information, phone numbers and addresses.
- Driver: You must plan to have a responsible adult drive you home. Do not plan to use taxis or other public transportation.
- Responsible Adult: A friend, relative or dedicated caregiver over the age of 18 MUST stay with you for 24 hours.
- Legal Guardian: A legal guardian must be in the center AT ALL TIMES for children and dependent adults.
- Care For Children: If you have young children at home for whom you normally care for, plan for someone else to care for them for at least the first 24 hours following your surgery.
- Interpreter: If your or your family/friend cannot read, speak English, or use sign language, a qualified interpreter free of charge will be provided in order to provide meaningful access and effective communication.
*For your safety, it is important to follow these instructions or your surgery may be delayed or cancelled.